See something that looks familiar here? Perhaps you saw it first over at Family Home and Life, my other blog.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Kid Made Halloween Garland

My Kids Club group made a simple Halloween Garland as their craft project last week. I used simple things from my craft stash to make this easy garland. Of course you could make multiple items to make a long garland but we were working in a short time frame and each child took home their own creation. 





First we made a ghost. I don't have pics here of that process but all you do is cut white fabric into a square or circle, stuff something into the middle for a head (we used toilet paper) wrap the fabric over the stuffing and secure with a rubber band or string. The face is made with permanent marker. 



The bats were cut from black felt and a strip of pipe cleaner/chenille stem was cut for it's body and glued to the wings. Sequins became eyes. Add a little extra onto the top of the pipe cleaner to become a hook for hanging later. 


For the spiders, we took 3 cut pieces of pipe cleaner/chenille stems and twisted them together in the middle. Holding the twist, I pushed up the legs to the shape I wanted. A pom pom body was added with glue and a smaller pom pom became a head. Again, sequin eyes were added. 



The pumpkin was made by generously wrapping yarn around 3 fingers and then tying a yarn strip around the middle. Fluff out the strands and it becomes a pumpkin shape. The face was cut pieces from left over black felt. 



We used a length of yarn to hang each piece; running it through the rubber band at the ghost neck and through the yarn tie on the pumpkin. On the bat we bent the the top of the pipe cleaner over a bit to hold the yarn and the spider is holding on with a leg.  



My two best seamstresses stitched little pumpkins from 2 inch rounds of felt but didn't want them added to the garland. 




Copyright © 2013 by Hill House Homestead ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

22 comments:

  1. I love the flexibility of this craft. I can't wait to try it with my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sooooooo cute! I will be pinning this for sure! We are over-run with crafts this year but I think when my son is 5 next year, this will be a perfect thing to do! Maybe even make a playdate out of it with our moms group! I hope that maybe you could share your amazing stuff on my Family Fridays Link-up party I am hosting this coming Friday! It is my first one so I am nervous for sure :/ www.livinthemomlife.com Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for kids to do. I'm sure your loved making it.
    Have a wonderful week,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love child-made crafts, especially for a child-centered holiday like Halloween! My daughter will love doing this, and it's a perfect indoor craft now that the weather is getting cooler up here in New England! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the little bats!! Very cute. Have a great week. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously cute Halloween garland!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your adorable Halloween crafts for the kiddos! Thanks so much for linking up at #RealFamilyFun. I'm sharing this post on my social media sites on Saturday.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to make those ghosts all the time as a kid! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great decorations! Glad the Kids Club is still going strong and keeping Grandma busy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Connie. Thanks for linking up this adorable Halloween Garland post at the Sweet Wednesday Link Party! It's so cute. Hope you're having a great week!

    Hugs,
    Heather
    MySweetMission.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful thing to do with the kids. Some real quality time around the holidays, what fun! Thanks for sharing and I think I'll copy this down so I can do it with my grandchildren when they come over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific! I LOVE the kid-made garland and pinned this to my "children" Pinterest board. I'm trying to find lots of things that kiddos can do themselves, and this is perfect! The felt pumpkins are definitely my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So fun for the kiddos! Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found your link on the Craft Schooling Sunday linky!!! This is ADORABLE!! Definitely pinning this and going to try it sometime next year!!! :) Thanks for sharing!!

    - Ashley
    aziggygiveaways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable idea! Thanks for linking up to The DIY'ers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a cute and creative garland from your kids!

    Thanks for sharing it at Motivation Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun little project! I know that my grand daughters would love this! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pinning right now from Friday Flash Blog Linky Party on The Jenny Evolution :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How adorable and what a fun kid's craft! And tell your 2 best seamstresses that they did a great job. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you joining us for All Things Pretty I hope to see you back tomorrow.
    @ http://myfashionforwardblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. these are super cute, especially the little ghosts! Thanks so much for linking up and hope to see you back tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Gosh I love to read your comments! Thanks for leaving one :)