See something that looks familiar here? Perhaps you saw it first over at Family Home and Life, my other blog.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Scripture Ornaments

First published at Family Home and Life. 

This is an easy and fast yet lovely Christmas Ornament that you can make with the kids. I call them Scripture Ornaments because I used a page from the Bible about the birth of Jesus as my back ground. But if scripture is not your thing sheet music is nice or make up your own verbiage. These would make great gifts or tweak this version to make gift tags.
Here’s how I made these.

Before we get started, I want to tell you that while there are a lot of popular crafting projects that use old book pages, I cringe whenever I think of old books being destroyed for the sake of crafting! Old books can be very valuable so please do a Google search to find out about yours before you start cutting it up or use cheap paper backs. I scanned the pages I wanted to use into my computer…… I can reuse that same page over and over without destroying a Bible or book! If you don’t have a scanner, try taking a photo of the page. Ok, on with the tutorial.


Upload your image to PicMoney and size it appropriately. I choose to make mine 8x10. Then I choose overlays-geometric-circles. I played with the placement of the circles so I could get the size I wanted and carefully placed them. I wanted them to be uniformed because I would be printing both sides of the card stock and wanted my Monogram to be centered on both sides. Once I had the circle the size it needed to be, I faded it so I could see the words underneath and duplicated it. (duplicate by right clicking and choosing duplicate overlay)
Next I choose (text) then choose a font I liked, and sized the letter to fit the circle appropriately. I wanted the letter to be black and choose not to fade the color. Next I duplicated my letter and placed one in each circle. Then I went back to each circle and faded the color completely out. Now I saved my image to my picture files. 


 I printed my image onto card stock that I had cut down to regular printer paper size. I marked a corner of the page with an X so I would be sure to reload the page for printing on the other side correctly. After the page is printed, find something to trace a circle with that you can see through; I am using a small mason jar lid. Trace your circles and cut them out. 


Punch a hole for hanging in the top; roll them first into glue then into glitter. 


Let them dry and add your string or ribbon for hanging. 


I used twine that I unraveled using only a single strand. If you want these to last year after year, a coat of Mod Podge (or more glue) over the glitter will be helpful.


This is a great project to make with the kids, it’s easy, fast, and the final product is very good even in the hands of a six year old! My oldest grand daughter and I made these Star Ornaments together and she chose to cut hers out in the shape of stars without the monogram. She used a star stamp to trace around. Instead of using ribbon or twine for the tie, she used chenille stems. She could manage the chenille stems but couldn't tie the twine; also I think she liked the pop of color.



Please feel free to save and use my scripture image to your computer to use again and again or upload to PicMonkey, you can do that by right clicking and choosing 'save image'.  If you would like to print this image as is, click here. You can find vintage sheet music at Graphics Fairy. 



 Copyright © 2013 by Hill House Homestead ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

16 comments:

  1. Great idea!! Love it!
    Blessings and have a wonderful Christmas.
    Please stop by my blog tomorrow and link these up.

    Blessings, Diane Roark
    www.recipesforourdailybread.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet idea this is, Connie! My 11-year old daughter loves this so much. It will be our next project, I think! Love it!!!! Merry Christmas, Catherine (newest follower of your blogging adventures!) : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this project and your info about saving books. {I am an old book collector and cringe when I see old tomes being sacraficed....} :o) Found you via the Serenity Now link up...new follower.-aimee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever idea and I love the mason jar lid element too. Always good to make the real reason for Christmas front and centre. Visiting via "FridayFlashBlog" from over at www.ritewhileucan.com where I gush over all things paper and the lost art of letter writing. You may enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful idea. I love this. My mother in law would adore these. I might have to make some & put them in her stocking. I am following you from Sunday DIY showcase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great family project! Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea!! Would be a great family project!! Thanks for sharing on DIY Sunday Showcase! I'm gonna pin this one to our talent board!

    Shelly
    minettesmaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are awesome. I'll bet you could paint and glitter one side of the mason jar lid, then mod podge these onto that to make them last a little longer too. Have a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a creative idea! Love it! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are very nice. I love this creative idea. I use Picmonkey a lot!
    :) Hope

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. I found your blog on Mom's the Word linkup.
    :)Hope

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely idea! Thanks for sharing @DearCreatives Happy Holidays! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea!! I think we may try these next year. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your ornaments are such a nice idea. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! And I featured it today on Give Me the Goods. Congratulations and Merry Christmas!
    Rachel @ Maison de Pax

    ReplyDelete

Gosh I love to read your comments! Thanks for leaving one :)