See something that looks familiar here? Perhaps you saw it first over at Family Home and Life, my other blog.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Rice Pancakes

First published at Family Home and Life.
I love pancakes, and being gluten free I am always looking for something good for pancakes. I have been reacting to all grains except rice, so when I over cooked a pot of rice, I came up with these pancakes. I don't like to throw food out if it can be used, so now I have a new to me recipe. I have tried white and brown rice and either is good. It is a simple recipe and can be changed up for different flavors. 



Place eggs first into blender and add other ingredients. 


 Blend until you are happy with the consistency.

Rice Pancakes
4 eggs
2 cups of cooked rice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp of baking powder (optional)
1/2 tsp of salt
1-2 TB of oil
1 TB of flour, your choice of kind. 

Place eggs first into blender and add other ingredients. Blend until you are happy with the consistency. If your rice is cold and on the hard side, zap it in the microwave with a spoonful of water and let it cool before using it. This works great with rice that you have overcooked. (like brown rice that is cooked to mush.....umm I hate to throw food out ;) 


Pour into a hot skillet and cook as you would any pancake. Don't be stingy with the butter either ;) These are made very much like the Pumpkin Pancakes I make too. 


Brainstorming some possible flavor ideas: 1 TB of cocoa, 2 TB of cream cheese- don't add oil, 2 TB of Nutella-don't add oil, 2 TB of peanut butter-don't add oil, 1-2 TB of pumpkin and 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice, 1 TB of apple sauce and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, fresh fruit chunks, blueberries, chocolate chips.....aww I could go on forever! Let me know if you try a flavor, please share how it turned out. 





 Copyright © 2013 by Hill House Homestead ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

4 comments:

  1. These look light and fluffy. I would never dreamt of rice for this. Awesome.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! Amara loves pancakes but it would be kind of fun to do something different -- for her sake we will add some food color and she will be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome discovery! These pancakes look delicious! I really hate to throw any food out either and hardly ever do. With two little ones at home rice does become mushy at times since I get busy with them and will sometimes forget my cooking. Now I have a new use for it instead of re-warming it for the next meal.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate to throw food out too!
    These pancakes look delicious, I will try them, thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Gosh I love to read your comments! Thanks for leaving one :)